Friday, July 30, 2010

Soraya's Rather Large Granny Square



I thought I should share my latest work in progress. Should I worry about the number of things that are 'in progress' at the moment? I am getting concerned that one day I might get crushed under the weight of all the half finished cross stitch and crochet projects that are stacked precariously around the TV.


I think I am a little mad for starting this one. I got the idea from a post at purl bee for a project called 'Joelle's Giant Granny Square'. The name says it all really, and I thought 'I can crochet a granny square- I can do this and I don't even need to read the instructions'. So I started with crochet cotton and a size B (2.25mm) crochet hook. After a while I thought 'perhaps I should have read the instructions'. But not being one to admit defeat at a poorly thought out crafty project I am soldiering on. My 'giant' granny square is about 15cm at the moment- about 20% of the way to the proportions of Joelle's giant granny square. And while it takes about 30 minutes at the moment just to complete another round of this crazy project I idly ponder over how long it will take to do a round when it gets close to completion... and whether I should invest in another ball of crochet cotton.


I am reminded, while working my way around another row, of a similar craziness I embarked on when I was about 9. I had learnt to knit at school and we were encouraged to take the knitting home to practice. I had managed to weasel a pair of needles from somewhere and had a small ball of probably about 10m of horrible acrylic plum wool. I boldly started knitting convinced that I could knit my horse a woollen rug out of it. In reality the rug had to be 6ft in length and probably about the same in width to successfully cover a moderately sized horse. Needless to say I didn't finish it. If I had tried I probably would have run out of wool first, probably because I only had 10m of it. Things don't really change do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment