Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Just stand there and dribble

Its the corporate cup challenge time of year. Its like the adult version of PE. Thankfully I have managed to skip a couple of years by hiding in Gove (the adult version of a note from your mummy). After my earlier experience of the dangers of "friendly" games, much in the same way "friendly fire" isn't particularly friendly, I had renewed my vow to never ever, under any circumstances, play another social team sport again.

Thankfully I arrived in Jabiru after most of the teams had been assembled, which saved me from having to think of an excuse for why I couldn't join in on the fly. I am not particularly good at making things up on the spot and probably would have told them that since I was abducted by aliens if I jump around too much my head falls off. Then I would have realised what I said and tried to sidle unnoticed from the room (of course at this point I would kick over a bin, making a huge noise thereby resulting in even more people looking at me and be left seriously thinking about telling them I can't speak English).

Today in the car on the way home there was a discussion about the rules of basketball and how they differ from the rules of half-court basket ball. All I could contribute was 1) don't forget your playing basket ball and start hitting people in the shins with a hockey stick and 2) if you aren't sure what to do, just start whistling and twirling the ball on your finger- everyone will be so amazed they will stop to watch how amazing you are. I was told that this only works for the Harlem Globetrotters

No comments:

Post a Comment