Monday, May 3, 2010

Fabric and buttons

It feels as though I fell off the edge of the world last week. I happily spent the whole time away from the computer. Now I am back and trawling through heaps of emails. Don't get me wrong, I am not hugely popular with thousands of emails from friends or anything. No, I subscribe to a ridiculous amount of junk email newsletters. I still have no idea how I ended up subscribing to Scrapbook USA! but they do provide me with plenty of ideas of what to do with scraps of paper and buttons.

While I was in the 'off-line' world (which is full of interesting things and some very strange people... or perhaps that was just what happens to people in Spotlight when they are having a 25% off everything sale... but that is a whole other story), I was able to visit Darwin's only quilting shop.

Wow, it was like when I was 5 and my dad would take me to Toy World. Adult Soraya sitting on one of my shoulders was patiently telling me to take slow calm breaths, while Child Soraya on my other shoulder wanted to run up and down the isles squealing and touching everything (she also wanted an ice cream and a pony, but we cant have everything). In the end I bought some fabric to add to my 'stash' (every quilting magazine I read refers to an elusive stash of fancy off cuts to make cute little things out of- at which point Child Soraya throws herself on the floor in a fit of 'wahhhhh but I don't have a stash' type whining. Adult Soraya gets quite embarrassed by this and pretends not to know Child Soraya) and some buttons (damn Scrapbook USA!'s influence there).



Now all I have to do is finish my horrible uni report and I am free to make all kinds of things from my long list of crafty things to do...


*P.s. Also stumbled across a great blog for writing inspiration. Although I haven't had much of a chance to write anything lately I will have a go at some of the tips shared by Sandy Ackers. Perhaps I will be able to pole vault over the quicksand of my obsessive procastinative disorder to actually get my report written. Hmmm, is that something shiny?...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug! I'm glad you've found some inspiration on my blog. Procrastination is a difficult disorder to overcome...and an ongoing challenge for many of us creative types, myself included. Good luck!

    ~Sandy Ackers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy, I need all the motivation I can get :-)

    ReplyDelete