Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Too many boxes

I have almost finished the move to Jabiru, and I will be pleased not to have to scrunch another handful of paper for a while. I kind of fell off the edge of the world for a few weeks while the move happened and many hurdles were jumped (namely a few threats by the movers to not move me unless their demands were met. I was partially disappointed the demands weren't fired through my living room window tied to a flaming torch- some people have no understanding of drama at all!). I only have a few boxes left to unpack and I am hoping to get them finished by the end of the week so I can send all these boxes back (or have a fun bonfire in the vacant lot behind my place).




I have started on the week long series of inductions, the first being the cultural heritage induction to the area. I was expecting to be told how evil I am because I am white and cant possibly know what its like to be black, but actually had quite a good time (mainly because I wasn't voraciously ripped into by a hypocritical greenie extremist telling me how horrible I am before they even know my name... no, that was saved for the afternoon but I am choosing to ignore that person). Part of the day included a walk out to Burrunggui and the rock paintings there. I took a few pictures to share, mainly because it is a really amazing place.


The picture above shows three pillars called 'lightning dreaming' and Namarrgon left his eye up there to watch over everything that happens around Jabiru. This site can explain the Lightning Man better than I can.


This is a picture of the Mt Brockman ranges. It looks more impressive in real life (damn my tiny little camera that fits so easily into my bag!)


Of course I had to grab a photo of some of the rock art. Here are the mimi spirits that come out of the rock to show you how to dance (or hunt, I'm not sure since I was at the back of the group for this one- this is probably an important difference, I mean if you have an angry bear running at it you probably want to know the difference between the Charleston and a gun).


No comments:

Post a Comment